Friday, February 13, 2009

Current Status: Bathing Optional

There was a time in my life when I showered daily. I would wake up from a full 8 hours of sleep feeling refreshed and excited about the day to come. I'd get in the shower enjoying the warm water and fresh smell of soap! I'd then take time to dry my curly head of big hair. I'd apply makeup and look like...well...a girl...a freshly scrubbed, twinkle in my freshly mascara lashed eyed, bright cheeked woman! A fresh smell and a bright smile my signature. (yes..I brushed my teeth a few times a day too!)


Oh, those were the days. I remember it like I was yesterday...but it wasn't yesterday...it wasn't the day before, either. That's my point. I'M NOT BATHING DAILY!

Don't judge me.

When, exactly, do we as women and mothers abdicate our rights, yeah...I said it...RIGHTS to shower daily..and when do we start believing that being clean is a luxury rather than a necessity?

I know women talk about bringing a new baby home and not finding time to shower...it didn't happen quite that way for me. Sure, it was hard to find time when I brought my little guy home, but I took the time to take care of myself and showering afforded me not only cleanliness but a few minutes to myself. No, for me it didn't start right away, the transition was quiet, insidious...a choice. It was when the little lady made her appearance and two kids, full time work (from my home office), playdates, parent participation preschool, doctor appointments, breakfast (every morning), lunch (every afternoon) and dinner (every freakin night) kinda became more important than...umm..well...bathing. It became a feeling of...well...I can either get to the doctors, feed the family, sleep...or I can shower and coif.

It's like a perpetual stinkin camping trip...and I'm really roughing it!!!! (I'm really a concierge level, 5 star hotel kinda gal)

I've made many attempts to reverse this madness. I've made promises. I've taken small steps. I've promised my spouse. This week...I am going to shower. every. single. day. It's bad enough to disappoint myself, but to see the sorrow in his eyes (I need to take a moment)

(deep breath)

I've made promises...and I've broken them. Every vacation I swear that I will jump back on the daily showering wagon only to fall short of my goal and go back to the smelly depths of my despair.

Well, tomorrow, as they say, is another day.


Authors Note: As of the posting of our story, our damsel in smelly distress has managed a shower, she's powdered and coiffed. She's entered a 12 step program and is promising to stay on the bathing wagon. We will check back with her occasionally to check her progress.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man! U cracked me up again!

But I understand what you mean. My life's been compromised in some strange, strange ways with the arrival of my prince - and I can't imagine when baby #2 comes along. :P

I can only pray for sanity. Haha!

Happy V-Day by the way!

Lesley said...

I hear ya....but I also hear..it's good for the skin to absorb a day or two's worth of stink....lol....maybe not our noses...but who really cares right?...lol

momma said...

stopping by from sits - happy hearts day!

StylinMom said...

oh man toooo funny...good luck with that!

m :)

jori-o said...

Oh, in my head, i just kept agreeing with you...where is this 12-step program you speak of? Where are the meetings?? I need an intervention myself!

Sheryl said...

When you find the true 12 step program for this problem let me know. My girls are now in high school and their activities keep us so busy that by the time I do what needs to do at the end of the night I said forget it, brush my teeth and crawl in bed. I guess, at least I'm brushing my teeth :-)

Sally's World said...

Don't worry, you'll only get dirty again!!!! (my ten year old's regular response to bathing)LOL xxxx I'm so glad its not just me!

chuxfox said...

Can I get an Amen? Girl, that was hilarious. I loved it. Wish we all could stand up and say it loud...I DID NOT BATHE TODAY! Sweet freedom.

Anonymous said...

This is not only amusing but so true for so many of us!

I hope this is one of your posts that you add to your favorites for the contest. I've spent a lot of time out here this morning and I love this one!

Thanks for stopping by the asylum. Can't wait to read your entries.

Anonymous said...

This is not only amusing but so true for so many of us!

I hope this is one of your posts that you add to your favorites for the contest. I've spent a lot of time out here this morning and I love this one!

Thanks for stopping by the asylum. Can't wait to read your entries.

Heather - Hopelessly Flawed said...

Too funny! And oh-so-sadly-true. I have been reading about this so much lately too - do I smell a theme?

Adlibby said...

Sing it sister! I totally know what you are talking about here. For me, the final straw was when I discovered blogging. I'm not one of those gals who feels I need to be showered and coiffed to drop the kids at school in the car line. I throw on any ol' pair of sweats (probably yesterday's since I haven't showered) and we're off. Drop kids. Pick up Venti mocha at Starbucks drive-through. Head home and check email/blog. Sit transfixed in front of computer. Look up and exclaim "Holy crap! It's noon!" In fact, I'm probably less likely to get a shower in now than when my day was planned down to the last second. What's that about??

Staci said...

Stopping by from sits....
You are cracking me up, but I totally get what you are saying. On those days when I actually get a LONG hot shower, I feel so clean and refreshed... We MUST make that a priority!

Steven Tyler

I’m reading his book right now. “Does The Noise In My Head Bother You? A Rock N’ Roll Memoir” . The guy has an unbelievable sense of self ...