Monday, March 9, 2009

Musical Monday: Non Ti Scordar di Me - Pavarotti

Musical Monday


I am a first generation Italian American, which is to say, that both of my parents were born and raised in Italy. I've had the privilege and opportunity to visit and travel throughout Italy quite a few times: as a child, as a young adult, as an single adult and now as an adult with my own family. I have been truly blessed to visit and partake in the vistas that my parents enjoyed as they grew and helped to form them. There is a sense of familiarity with the land itself, with the hospitality of the people, with the beauty of the arts and oh, lets not forget the food.

Growing up, I listened to all sorts of music with my parents with equal measures of Italian and American fare, but this one song always filled me with magic as a child and now fills me with the joy of my Italian heritage.

Just like the country and her people, my choice for Musical Monday pulls at me and moves me in a very profound and emotional way. I hope you will turn up your volume, close your eyes and let the music take you on a journey.

Non ti Scordar di Me: Luciano Pavarotti



Here are the words for you - first in Italian and then a translation:


Partirono le rondini
nel mio paese freddo e senza sole
cercando primavere di viole
nidi d’amore e di felicità.
La mia piccola rondine partì
senza lasciarmi un bacio
senza un addio partì.
Non ti scordar di me
la vita mia è legata a te
io t’amo sempre più
nel sogno mio rimani tu.
Non ti scordar di me
la vita mia è legata a te
c’è sempre un nido nel mio cuor per te
non ti scordar di me.
Non ti scordar di me
la vita mia è legata a te
c’è sempre un nido nel mio cuor per te
non ti scordar di me.


Do Not Forget Me

The swallows have left
my cold and sunless land,
to seek the spring among the violets,
love nests of happiness.
My little swallow has flown,
without leaving me a kiss,
without saying goodbye.
Do not forget me,
my life is joined to yours.
My love for you will always grow,
you will always be in my dreams.
Do not forget me:
my life is joined with yours.
There’ll always be a nest in my heart for you,
Do not forget me!
Do not forget me:
my life is joined with yours.
There’ll always be a nest in my heart for you,
Do not forget me!
What's moving you today!? Please go check out Jori & Diane's Musical Monday and share your own!

13 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

My sisters husband was born in Sicily and moved here when he was 10. Their family parties are always so much fun, and Pavarotti is always "present". :)

jori-o said...

What a voice! And the lyrics are really cool--they're the double-duty kind that could be used for a lover or for your babies!

Mimi said...

Love it, it gave me goosebumps!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing....I love Luciano Pavarotti....I don't know much of his music, but I can usually tell when it's a song by him...his voice is unmistakable!

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

I want him to come and live at my house and sing to me all the time! Do you think he is for rent? : )

Diane said...

thanks for posting the lyrics! it was cool to read them along with the song.

he is crazy amazing!

thanks for playing!!

Speedcat Hollydale said...

That was VERY impressive, and unique to my MM travels so far. Fantastic!!!!

Say, I have this same template at one of my "extra" blogs. The background images for the rounded corners all of a sudden dissappeared because Photobucket said I had exceeded bandwith limits.
Where, and how, do you have yours set up???

I changed the backgrounds to color codes.

http://speedcathollydale3.blogspot.com

Small House said...

A goal that my daughter and I have is to one day go to Italy. It'll never happen, but a goal no the less.

Loved your "dinner party" post. SO TRUE!!

Stopped by from SITS!
Have a great day.
Sandra

Sally's World said...

ooh! loved this...my mum is italian and loves him

i have an award for you, come get it off my blog...

Cheryl said...

P.S. I forgot to mention, you have an award waiting for you at my blog (post title "I've been awarded)...stop by and grab your award! :o)

ivana said...

Ciao,
i wish you BUONA DOMENICA!
Thank for the song, i love Pvarotti, he lived near my town!!!
See you soon!
ivana

chuxfox said...

Hey Lady! Just missing your humor. I can follow what you say as if I am speaking it myself. Have a good weekend!

Adlibby said...

Come baaaaaaaack! What are you? Havin' a life? You are missed! smoooch!

Steven Tyler

I’m reading his book right now. “Does The Noise In My Head Bother You? A Rock N’ Roll Memoir” . The guy has an unbelievable sense of self ...